– Southern California “Super Lawyer,” Health Care, Los Angeles magazine, 2006-2020.
– LexisNexus Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rated (peer review rated “A” – very high to preeminent legal ability; “V” – very high general ethical standards), 1986-2020.
– Recipient of the Warren Williams Award from the American Psychiatric Association and the California Psychiatric Association for extraordinary contributions to the profession of psychiatry and for advocacy of quality care for patients, 2008.
– Recipient of the President’s Special Recognition Award, California Psychiatric Association, July 2006.
– Listed in The Legal Media Guide to the Leading U.S. Healthcare Lawyers, 2006.
– Recipient of the California Psychiatric Association’s Edward Rudin, M.D., Award for Excellence in Government Relations, 2000.
– National First Prize (co-recipient) Association of Trial Lawyers of America Environmental Law Essay Contest, 1973.
– Order of the Coif, UCLA School of Law, 1973.
– Russell Sage Foundation Resident in Law and Social Science, UCLA School of Law, 1970-1972.
– National Defense Education Act Fellow, 1965-1967
– Woodrow Wilson Foundation Fellow, 1964-1965
– Phi Beta Kappa, UCLA, 1964.