Menendez v. Superior Court (1992) 3 Cal. 4th 435. The California Supreme Court adopted positions on confidentiality and privilege put forward in an amicus curiae brief on behalf of the California Psychiatric Association.
California Association of Psychology Providers v. Rank (1990) 51 Cal.3d 1. Represented the California Psychiatric Association in proceedings to implement the California Supreme Court's opinion concerning medical staff issues.
Rea v. Blue Shield of California (2014) 226 Cal.App.4th 1209. Represented Hon. Helen M. Thomson, author of California Mental Health Parity Act, and the California Psychiatric Association as amici curiae in successful appeal to uphold mental health parity.
Ford v. Norton (2001) 89 Cal. App. 4th 974. The Court of Appeal adopted positions propounded in an amicus curiae brief regarding immunity from malpractice claims for early release of patient from an involuntary hold.
In re Family Health Services, Inc. (9th Cir. B.A.P. 1991) 130 B.R. 314. Represented an HMO that successfully reorganized in a bankruptcy proceeding.
California Psychiatric Association v. Gausewitz (March 14, 2006, Sacramento County Superior Court Case No. 5 CS 655). Judgment against the State of California on successful petition for a writ of mandate invalidating underground regulations concerning hospital care of the mentally ill.
Great American Bank. Represented this multi-billion dollar bank in the defense of class actions and shareholder derivative suits. Successful litigation on behalf of the bank to obtain directors’ and officers’ liability insurance coverage.
In re Comark. Successful prosecution of involuntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy of failed government securities broker dealer.
Serves as General Counsel to California Psychiatric Association, Southern California Psychiatric Society and advises other non-profit medical professional societies and associations.
Outside counsel to the University of California on mental health law (2007-2010.).
– Of Counsel, Schiff and Bernstein, 2008-present
– Saint Barnabas Senior Center Of Los Angeles, member of the board of directors, 2007 - 2014.
– USC Medical School, UCLA Medical School and California Psychiatric Association, frequent volunteer lecturer, 1990 – present.
– Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District Hearing Board, Former Member, 1999-2000 and Vice Chairperson, 2000-2002.
– Federal Bar Association Delegation to the State Bar Convention, Member, 1995.
– Constitutional Rights Foundation, Director, 1981-1994, and Vice-President, 1983-1989.
– Los Angeles County Bar Association Delegation to the State Bar Convention, Member, 1975-1977.
– American Bar Association
– American Health Lawyers Association
– California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
-"What To Do When The Board Of Pharmacy Calls," 2013 Seminar of California Society Of Health-System Pharmacists, Anaheim, CA, November 2, 2013.
-"The Clash Between Best Interests And Parental Treatment Confidentiality," co-presenter, 50th Anniversary Conference of Association Of Family And Conciliation Courts, Los Angeles, CA , May 31, 2013.
– “Important Legal Developments In The Last Year” Annual Meeting of California Psychiatric Association, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Annual Meetings of the California Psychiatric Association.
– "Student Mental Health Concerns," National Association of College And University Attorneys, NACUA 2009 Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 26, 2009.
– "Finding The Will: A Panel On Professional Wills," New Center For Psychoanalysis, Los Angeles,
California, March 28, 2009.
– "Significant Legal Developments Concerning Psychiatry in 2008," Southern California Chapter of American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, Los Angeles, California, January 24, 2009.
– "Sharing Mental Health Information Within The University," University Of California Academic Advising Conference, Monterey, California, May 1, 2008.
– “Legal-Ease for Mediators - Health Care,” Southern California Mediation Association, January 20, 2007 and February 2, 2008.
– “HIPAA Privacy Rules and Tarasoff Warnings,” Southern California Chapter of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, January 27, 2007.
– “Legal Issues in Psychiatric Care,” Pacific Hospital, Long Beach, CA, December 8, 2006.
– “Significant Legal Developments Concerning Psychiatry” Grand Rounds, Department of Psychiatry, Sepulveda VA Medical Center, October 7, 2006.
– “Derailing Litigation by Physicians against Hospitals and Medical Groups” Southern California
Association for Risk Management, January 17, 2006.
– “The Duty to Warn: Are There Limits To Tarasoff” Department of Psychiatry, Grand Rounds, Sepulveda VA Medical Center, November 17, 2004.
– “Physicians Impaired By Substance Abuse And The Law - Confidentiality Of Treatment And The Medical Board of California” Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law Annual Meeting, Scottsdale, Arizona, October 24, 2004.
– “Legal Issues Concerning Pain Management and End of Life Care” Annual Meeting of the California Psychiatric Association, October 10, 2004.
– “Common Risks Of Malpractice, Peer Review and Licensing Board Claims In The Practice Of Medicine” UCLA Psychiatry Residents, February 2004.
– J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, 1973.
– Ph.D., University of Chicago, 1968.
– A.M., University of Chicago, 1966.
– A.B., University of California, Los Angeles, 1964, with highest honors.
– The United States Supreme Court.
– The United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
– The United States District Courts for the Southern, Central, Northern and Eastern Districts of California.